For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID

mineees

aliasmel

Willowmoss

deltree

YarrehLane

Sialer Park Mini Stud

mysticalmeadows

kimmini

misty meadow miniatures

Like us on Facebook!
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
56%
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
33%
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
11%
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION

Go down 
AuthorMessage
misty meadow miniatures
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Ok so i want to get my gelding into show condition he has been in work for 5 months lunging and no weight is coming off him i have cut down his grass and feed to next to nothing? I have thought about getting a muzzle i was thinking next would be body sweats?

PLEASE HELP ME
Back to top Go down
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:41 am

I would stay away from body sweats if I were you, I have seen them rub ponies raw, I have also heard of a pony getting a leg caught up in one because he was trying to get it off with his hind foot and he wasn't found for hours and was in a very bad state as you could imagine. In my opinion they aren't very humane. No

But I really don't know what else to suggest that you haven't already been doing. Maybe you need to cut out nearly all the roughage in his feed, and limit his grazing to a couple of hours a day. Or else just show him as is? Maybe he is just "solid" not "fat" and that is his type??? Dunno?

Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Pk he is fat still his neck is hard still i am gonna try and cut his roughage down but will not use a sweat after what you just said? i might have to use a muzzle as i have got no where with little grass in it at the moment unless i kick the poddy calves out of my yard?
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 am

Why dont you strip graze him,and for his hard feed and hay,,,soak it. that removes the sugar from it.
There are feeds out there for very fat ponies and you dont have to half starve them to get results.
Get your feed store to get in a feed called TREATMENT, its made by D&M Stockfeeds in Kyabram.They also have one for when you have got the fat off its called MAINTAIN.
Give them a try they do work.all mine are on the Maintain now and have been for about 12mths,,,and no fat ponies here and they have grass up to there bellies.Plus you still need to give a hard feed as how else are you going to get all the other goodies into him with out it[vit&min]
Back to top Go down
Bandit
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:55 am

Be very careful cutting down on there rouphage or you will end up with other problems.You need to get a hard feed wich is low in fat because cutting their feed back to far will not get them into good condition either..........Sometimes it is trial and error with feeds there are lots of feeds out there that are not full of grain as well they help and also steer clear of feeds with corn in them......Good luck the fun of having minis LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
misty meadow miniatures
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 am

Kimmini he is already being strip grazed for summer and is only getting whats in the paddock for the moment. I will see my stockfeeds to try and get treatment and maintain in and give them ago? i am more worried about him foundering as dont think he will be attending any shows this year. Bandit as i just said he is only getting grass at the moment until i find a paddock mate for my sisters old arab gelding so i can bring him home and put more work into him?
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:26 am

The two feeds Treatment and Maintain are made for ponies that have or very close to foundering.They do work.
Back to top Go down
misty meadow miniatures
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 am

Ok thanks kimmini i will try and get some i have never seen him this fat in his whole life?
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:23 am

It's not roughage you need to cut out but high fats and proteins. Try white chaff or oaten or wheaten hay as there is no protein in them. Fresh green grass is also high in sugars which can makes them fat.

Hygain also makes a great feed for fat horses/ponies called Gold. It's readily available as most feed stores. Do some research and see what your feed store stocks as quiet often when you get in a special order they cost way more than they should...I learned they hard way!

Hope you find a solution soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION   

Back to top Go down

tips wanted to turn a very fat pony into SHOW CONDITION
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aussie Miniature Equines :: Horse Topics :: Training / Showing-
Jump to: